Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Challenge? What was I thinking?

Simplify

"Peacock Rescue"
#6 - Acrylic on Canvas
16 x 20
Word for the year...Simplify. So what was I thinking when I took on a 30 painting in 30 days Challenge? Well, I guess I thought that nothing unexpected would come up and that I painted everyday.  Of course, none of that is true so here it is the 27th day and I have 5 small paintings done, plus the large watercolor commission that took several days, not one...and another painting 'rescue' (shown here), and a few colored pencil illustrations that do not count, because they are not paintings. (at least in this challenge) Oh, and some clay projects along the way.

Problem #1 was that I started painting with oils, which I do not use much, I quickly realized that the drying time is not something that I am used to. I usually use acrylics, which dry quickly.  I need that learning curve to work more in oils.

Problem #2 was subject matter that interests me. I fight with myself over which direction to go...realism or abstract/surrealism/whimsical.  Although I enjoy some realism, I really enjoy the surreal to abstract. And I diagnosed myself with ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) because I tend to get bored doing the same thing all the time.  I'm sure you could tell by looking at my variety of work!
See paintings for the challenge that I did accomplish:   #1 here   #2 here    # 3 & #4 here    # 5 coming soon  #6 See 'Peacock Rescue' above ^.

Problem #3 was that life happens and unexpected trips away from home occur.  Family illnesses, family emergencies all take priority over a self imposed challenge.  Period.  All of which has happened this year/month.

Problem #4 ...which is really not a problem, but a blessing! I have customers who commission me to create for them! So those projects take priority over my painting challenge pieces.  Commissions are Good. Commissions = buying art supplies and paying the bills!

Problem #5 is that I feel like a failure for not completing this challenge, BUT, I can change the rules. I will continue to paint, but the 30 in 30 days is not gonna happen.  But that is okay. I'm not going to beat myself up over it.  Maybe I will get 30 paintings in 300 days? or less. Or maybe one large painting can count as 4 small ones?   I can't guarantee that I will do 30 though, because I am going to stick to my word for the year...

 ...Simplify

Beth..Art with ♥ 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thanks for stopping by!
~Beth

My Kiln

My Little Kiln She is small but mighty. She gets the job done.  The size of my kiln does limit what I can create, but I get a lot of use o...